Prof. R. Maria Saleth
Agricultural Economics, Resource and Environmental Economics, Institutional Economics, Rural Development, Water Resource Management, Impact Assessment
B.A., Economics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India.
M.A., Economics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India
M.Phil, International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
Ph.D. Agricultural Economics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Madurai Kamaraj University, M.A., 1979;
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, M.Phil., 1981;
- University of Illinois—Urbana-Champaign, Ph.D., 1989.
- Religion: Roman Catholic.
- Hobbies and other interests: Reading, photography, trekking.
- ADDRESSES: Home—Appadurai House, Royappan Patti, Tamil Nadu 625526,India.
- Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi, India, associate professor of agricultural economics, 1992-2000;
- Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, India, professor of ecological economics, 2000-02;
- International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka, senior institutional economist in Pelawatta, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka, 2002;
- World Bank, visiting research fellow in Washington, DC, 1998;
- University of South Australia, adjunct professor, 2003;
- International Water Resources Association, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics (life member),Indian Social Sciences Association (life member).
Awards & Recognitions
American Water Resources Association and University Council on Water Resources, 1988, for a paper on water markets under bargaining conditions;
Distinction in Engineering Technology Award, Indian Central Board of Irrigation and Power, 1991, for a paper on “operationalizing sustainability”; D. K. Desai Award, Indian Society of Agricultural Economists, 1998, for a paper on agricultural diversification.