Research Cell for Studies in Education Policy, Planning and Governance (RSEPPG)
Background and Objectives
Research Cell for Studies in Education Policy, Planning and Governance (RSEPPG) in Telangana State at the Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS) is set up in July 2020 with the support of Telangana State Council for Higher Education (TSCHE). The predominant objective of the Research Cell on Education (RSEPPG) is to comprehensively study the gamut of issues and challenges in the education system/sector at all levels in a holistic perspective while focusing on higher education in the state and in the country. Research studies are to be thematically organized around five dimensions or foundational pillars of education system: Access, Quality, Equity, Affordability and Accountability. The impact of state policy, funding, regulatory framework, educational standards and governance on achieving these five dimensions of education system would be the focus of research studies. The Research Cell while providing policy inputs and support derived from evidence-based policy-oriented research output, assists the TSCHE and thereby the Telangana State Government in their endeavour for educational development in the state.
Activities of the Cell
To organize seminars, workshops, discussions and conferences on topical issues related to Education.
To conduct research studies focusing on education policy, funding, governance
To conduct assessment and evaluation studies on initiatives and programmes with respect to education development.
To bring out research reports, policy briefs, and working papers along with research publications
- Expenditure on Education in India: Trends and Patterns of Public and Private Expenditure
- Higher Education in India and Telangana: Growth, Prospects, Issues and Challenges
- Educational Development in Telangana: Status, Prospects, Issues and Challenges
- Expenditure on Education in Telangana
- Remedial Teaching or Developmental Education at Tertiary Level in India
- Skill Development Initiatives and their Performance in Telangana
- Governance in Higher Education
- Industry Base and Structure in Telangana: Demand and Supply of Skilled Labour
- Private Educational Institutions and Models of Cost Recovery: Donative or Philanthropic Public Service and For-Profit and Not-for-Profit
- WTO and Educational Services in India
- Birth Cohort Transitions from Primary to Higher Education: Evidence from Young Lives Longitudinal Data
CESS - RSEPPG Research Team
|Name of the Person||Designation||Picture||Name of the Person||Designation||Picture|
|E Revathi||Director, CESS and Overall Coordinator||Venkatanarayana Motkuri||Associate Professor and Coordinator|
|G Alivelu||Associate Professor||K Chandrasekhar||Associate Professor|
|P Aparna||Assistant Professor||CH Krishna Rao||Assistant Professor|
|D Mohan Rao||Research Associate||B Sampath Rao||Research Associate|
- Workshop on Telangana Curriculum Development Project of Telangana State Council of Higher Education (TSCHE) during 22-23 February 2023 at CESS. It was by TSCHE in collaboration with British Council and Welsh Universities of UK.
- AKAM Lecture on Contours of Educational Development in Telangana by Venkatanarayana Motkuri on 28th October 2022, at CESS.
- Organised an ICSSR-Sponsored two-day National Webinar on “State-Level Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 in Higher Education: Issues, Challenges and Strategies”, during 11-12 May, 2021.
- Organised a one-day State-Level Webinar on “Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 in Higher Education in Telangana State: Issues, Challenges and Strategies”, on 20th April 2021. It is in collaboration with TSCHE, Govt. of Telangana
- Organized Webinar on National Education Policy and its Implications to School education and Higher Education on 4thSeptember 2020 with CESS faculty and research scholars.
- Organized a Discussion on National Education Policy on 4thAugust 2020 along with Telangana State Council for Higher Education.
Policy/Programme Inputs to TSCHE
- Discussions at the Cell led to introducing the B.A. Honours Programme in pilot basis in Economics and Political Science – Cell facilitated and supported the development of curriculum and syllabus for both the programmes.
- On Cluster Approach – Cell has prepared a background paper and TSCHE has organised meeting with selected autonomous colleges and set up working committees to examine feasibility. The outcome finally is that TSCHE and Commissionerate got MOU between select autonomous colleges implementing the cluster system.
- Centralised Single window recruitment of teaching faculty for universities and government colleges following the precedence of Bihar and Odisha – Cell has made certain level of pressing demand for the same.
Output: Study Papers Series
Published News Paper Prints
- Missing Numbers in Higher Education, Opinion, 23 November 2022, Telangana Today
- Focus on Quality of Education, Opinion, 19 August 2022, Telangana Today (https://telanganatoday.com/opinion-focus-on-quality-of-education)
- Critical need of Higher Outlays for Education Sector, 8 May, 2022, The Hans India (https://epaper.thehansindia.com/Home/ShareArticle?OrgId=85d4424f49&imageview=0)
- Strengthening School Education, Opinion, 22 April, 2022, Telangana Today (https://telanganatoday.com/opinion-strengthening-public-school-education)
- Getting together for Enhanced Learning, Opinion, 11 October, 2021, Telangana Today (https://telanganatoday.com/getting-together-for-enhanced-learning)
- Closure of Schools and Learning Loss, Opinion, 26 August, 2021, Telangana Today(https://telanganatoday.com/opinion-closure-of-schools-and-learning-loss).
- Restructuring HEIs in Telangana, Opinion, 19th July, 2021, Telangana Today(https://telanganatoday.com/restructuring-heis-in-telangana)
- స్కూల్క్లస్టర్తొనాణ్యమైనవిద్య,Opinion, 14th July, 2021, నమస్తెతెలంగాణNamaste Telangana (https://epaper.ntnews.com/home/ShareArticle?OrgId=2eeb0a47&imageview=0) E-paper-clip (https://epaper.ntnews.com/Home/ShareArticle?OrgId=b8bdd281&imageview=1)
- School Clusters for Better Learning, Opinion, 11th July, 2021, Telangana Today(https://telanganatoday.com/school-clusters-for-better-learning)
On Field Work
Published Articles in Journals
- Public Expenditure on Education in India: Trends and Centre-State Allocations (VenkatanarayanaMotkuri and Revathi), Journal of Development Policy and Practice (JDPP), forthcoming.
- Private Expenditure on Education in India: National Level Analysis Exploring NSSO CES and SCE Estimates (VenkatanarayanaMotkuri and E. Revathi), Indian Journal of Human Development (IJHD), Online First on 14 March 2023. (https://doi.org/10.1177/09737030231155242)
- Quality of School Education in Telangana (VenkatanarayanaMotkuri), Kakatiya University Journal of Social Sciences (KUJOSS), forthcoming.
- Public and Private Expenditure on Education in India: Trend during last seven decades
- Expenditure on Higher Education in India
- Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 in Telangana State: Concerns and Challenges, in Ramesh Reddy and Shiva Reddy (eds.) Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, published by Telangana Economic Association (TEA), 2021.
- Preparing Odisha for Knowledge Economy (Venkatanarayana Motkuri and Bibunandini Das), Odisha Vision 2035, Odisha Economic Association (OEA), Bhubaneswar.
CESS-RSEPPG Monograph Series (MS)
- MS#2 – Investing in Child: Public Expenditure on Child Development and Welfare in India and Telugu States
- MS#1 – Expenditure on Education in India: Trend in Public (Contribution of Centre and State) and Private Spending
CESS-RSEPPG Working Paper Series (WPS)
- WPS#1 –Post-Secondary Education Participation Rate in India and extent of Disparities: Analysis using Estimates based on National-Level Household Survey (PLFS-3)
- WPS#2 – Post-Secondary Education Participation and Disparities in Telangana: Analysis using Estimates based on National-Level Household Survey (PLFS-3)
CESS-RSEPPG Research Briefs Series (RB)
- RB#10 – Positive Impact of implementing of Aadhaar Based Bio-Metric Attendance System (ABAS) in Government Schools in Telangana
- RB#9 – Education Cess and its Utilisation in India
- RB#8 –Higher Education in Telangana: SWOT Analysis
- RB#6 – Remedial Teaching Arrangements of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Telangana State: Preliminary Survey Findings
- RB#4 – Private Expenditure on Education in India: National Level Analysis Exploring NSSO Survey (CES and SCE) Estimates
- RB#3 – Expenditure on Higher Education in India: Contributions of Public (Centre and State Governments) and Private (Households)
CESS-RSEPPG Background Papers Series (BPS)
- BPS#9 – Governance in Higher Education
- BPS#8 – Education and Employment in Telangana
- BPS#3 – Skill Development in India: A Conceptual Framework Mapping Educational (and Training) Outcomes and Occupation-Job-Skill Standards of Industry and Labour Market
- BPS#2 – Investing in Child: Human Capability Formation while Nurturing the Childhood and its Transition to Adulthood
CESS-RSEPPG Policy Research Paper Series (PRPS)
- PRPS#8 – Contours of Educational Development in Telangana (1850-2021): Long-run view as a region in Hyderabad State and in undivided Andhra Pradesh and as a Separate State (AKAM Lecture Series).
- PRPS#7 – Prospects of Multidisciplinary Approach to Education: Context of Implementing NEP 2020 in India
- PRPS#6 – Perspective Framework Plan for Higher Education in Telangana
- PRPS#5 – NAAC Accreditation of Universities and Colleges in Telangana: Status and Prospects
- PRPS#4 – Prospects of Increasing Enrolment and GER in Higher Education in Telangana
- PRPS#3 – Sustainable Development Goal-4 (Quality Education) in Telangana
- PRPS#2 – Improving the Quality, Efficiency and Effectiveness of School Education in Telangana: Experimenting with the School Clusters
- PRPS#1 – Cluster Approach to Restructuring the Public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Telangana: State-level Perspective Plan Framework aligning with the National Educational Policy (NEP) 2020
CESS-RSEPPG Seminar/Conference Presentation Papers Series (SCPPS)
CESS-RSEPPG Research Reports Series (RRS)
- RRS#6 – Public Expenditure Report (PER) on Child Welfare in Telangana (UNICEF)
- RRS#5 – Public Expenditure Report (PER) on Child Welfare in Andhra Pradesh (UNICEF)
- RRS#4 –Integrated Social Registry for Strengthening Social Protection Measures for Children in Telangana (UNICEF)
- RRS#3- Mapping and District and Mandal Profiles of Higher Education Institutions in Telangana
- RRS#2 – Higher Education in Telangana: Status, Issues and Challenges
- RRS#1 – Expenditure on Education in Telangana
CESS-RSEPPG Survey Reports Series (SRS)
- SRS#3 – School Management Practices and Academic Performance of Children across selected Schools in Telangana
- SRS#2 – Sample Survey on the Impact of implementation of Aadhaar Based Bio-Metric Attendance System (ABAS) in Government Schools in Telangana – by Dr. K. Chandrasekhar (to Department of School Education).
- SRS#1 – Rapid Assessment Survey of Remedial Teaching Arrangements in Higher Education Institutions in Telangana State: Reporting Preliminary Survey Findings
CESS-RSEPPG Seminar/Conference Proceedings Series (SCPS)
CESS-RSEPPG Team Participation and Presentation in Seminars and Conferences
- SCPPS#5-Under-Nutrition among Children in Telangana, 7th Annual Conference of Telangana Economic Association (TEA), organised during 12-12 February 2023, at Council for Social Development (CSD), Hyderabad.
- SCPP#4 –Preparing Odisha for a Knowledge Economy, OEA’s Odisha Vision-2030 Conclave, held during 11-12 January 2023, Odisha Economic Association (OEA), Bubaneswar.
- SCPPS#3 –Human Development and Education in Telangana, Panel Discussion on Regional Economy of Telangana, Annual Conference of The Indian Econometric Society (TIES), organised during 5-6 January 2023, by School of Economic, Central University, Hyderabad.
- SCPPS#2 –Prospects of Multidisciplinary Approach to Education: Context of Implementing NEP-2020 in India – Panel Discussion at International Conference on Language and Literature: Cultural and Pedagogical Perspectives in the Context of NEP-2020, organised during 23-24 June, 2022, by Govt Degree College, Begumpet.
- SCPPS#1 –Prospects of Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, Panel Discussion on NEP-2020, National Seminar on NEP-2020, during March 2022, Organised by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Government Degree College, Hyderabad.
- SCPPS#1 –Implementing National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 in Telangana State: Concerns and Challenges (appeared in Telangana Economic Association (TEA) 5th Pre-Conference Symposium Volume, March 2021)