Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS)
(Planning Department, Govt. of Telangana& ICSSR, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India)
Summer Internship Programme-2023
Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS) is an autonomous research institution supported by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi and the Government of Telangana. The Centre’s research revolves around issues related to Economic Development, Governance, Public Policy, and Social Change with a special emphasis on the state of Telangana, among others. The Centre has state of art library, computing, and other infrastructural facilities available for carrying out good quality research. It is situated on a beautiful campus on the premises of the Nizamiah Observatory at Begumpet in Hyderabad.
CESS Faculty Areas of Specialisation
Agriculture and allied agriculture, wetlands and fisheries, soil fertility management, rural labour and land markets, industry, informal sector and enterprises, services sector, international trade in services, social sector – health and education, gender studies, state and local finances, micro finance, migration, Dalit studies, tribal economy, livelihoods of marginal communities, Employment & Unemployment, MGNREGA, Network Models and Applied Econometrics, poverty studies, environment, sustainable development goals, urban studies, decentralized governance, WASH, ground water and ground water irrigation, climate change, natural resource economics and labour market
Internship programme is designed to prepare students wishing to gain valuable mentoring and guidance necessary for conducting research.
- Interns need to attend the institute on working days and attendance is mandatory
- Interns need to work on the research areas as advised by the mentor (CESS Faculty) or can be accommodated in the projects carried out by the mentor or can work in the area of own research under the supervision of the mentor
- They will be encouraged to attend the seminars and workshops conducted by CESS
- Interns have to present their research papers at the end of the internship and submit the hard copy in the Division for Graduate Studies (DGS) office, to the faculty mentor and Library after including the suggestions made during the presentation
- Upon successful completion of the internship programme requirements, students will be awarded with the Certificate of Completion
To be eligible for an internship,
- the candidates must have an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a Master’s programme in Social Sciences
- Students in the final year of Social Science Post Graduate Programme
- Students in the final year of Social Science Undergraduate Programme
- The candidates who have completed their master’s programme in the last academic year (2022-23)
Note: Preference will be given to students pursuing post-graduate programme
Facilities and Resources
The selected interns will be assigned mentors who are the faculty at CESS. Interns will be provided access to use of Library, Reading rooms, and a Wi-Fi connection.
Submission of Application
Interested students are advised to download the application from the CESS website (www.cess.ac.in). The filled-in application form along with letters of recommendation issued by the faculty members concerned (with the university/institute of applicants) should be submitted (scanned copy) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and with the subject line “Summer Internship Application CESS-2023” on or before 31 March 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered for the selection to the Internship programme.
Students will be selected based on the availability of faculty mentors and the centre’s areas of interest. Only the short-listed students will be intimated with an internship offer letter by email.
Duration of Internship
Students are required to attend the institute for about two months during 01 May to 30June 2023 for the completion of the internship programme. However, there will be flexibility with regard to the joining date with the prior permission of the Dean DGS office.
Commencement of Application:22 February, 2023
Last date of application:31 March, 2023
Announcement of Shortlisted Candidates:10 April, 2023
Joining date:01 May, 2023
Applicants must note that the institute will not be providing a monthly stipend, food, and accommodation to the selected interns. Candidates are advised to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
For further details on the programme please contact Dr. Kasturi Alivelu, Dean, DGS, and Ms Parveen Begum (Office Assistant) (email@example.com)