Dr. Arifa Sultana
Dr. Arifa Sultana
Farmer Producer Companies, FPOs, Cooperatives, Marketing, Tribal Studies, Food and Nutrition Security
M Phil and Ph d
Dr. Arifa Sultana is currently working as Research Consultant at Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad. Her areas of research interest are Cooperatives, Farmers’ Producer Companies, Agriculture Marketing, Community Development, E-Marketing, Food Systems and Nutrition, and Development Economics. Earlier she worked as Dean and Principal at Madina Degree and PG College for Women, Hyderabad. She has 25 years of teaching and research experience. She was principal investigator for research projects on Farmers’ Producer Companies in Telangana State. She worked on “Agriculture, Food Systems and Nutrition in Tribal Areas in India” and the paper was presented in the Panel discussion at Punjab Agriculture University in association with Prof. E Revathi. She presented a paper on ‘Trends and Patterns of Malnutrition across states in India’ at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Studies at national seminar in 2022. She worked extensively on primary data for two projects for the state of Telangana. She was chairperson of the National Service Scheme during her career at Madina College where she adopted slum area in Avantinagar area in Hyderabad for three years and played an important role in the community development. She is the resource person and trainer at National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR) and the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM). She has been training the officials of the NRLM and CEOs of Farmers Producer Companies in India. She was also a Resource Person for University Grants Commission (UGC) in Women and Governance Module for UGC Capacity Building Programme for Women in Higher Education Workshops at Osmania University Hyderabad; Ideal College of arts and science, Kakinada; and Anwar Ul Uloom College, Hyderabad. She was a Resource Person in Financial Management in Higher Education Module for UGC Management Skills Enhancement Modules Workshops at Lady Doak College, Madurai and at University of Kashmir, Srinagar.
My research interest is in Cooperatives, Farmers’ Producer Companies, Agriculture Marketing, Community Development, E-Marketing, Food Systems and Nutrition, and Development Economics. I have worked on various topics of Farmers Producer Companies, E-NAM and turmeric market and Malnutrition.
Monograph ‘Impact Evaluation of Farmers Producer Companies in Telangana State promoted by NABARD’ jointly with Prof. E Revathi (Mimeo)
- Sultana Arifa (2021) Contract Farming in India: Does the New Farm Act addresses all the problems of the past? International Journal of Research and Analytical Review, 8, Issues 4, ISSN-2349-5138
- Revathi E and Arifa Sultana (2020): “Farmers’ Producer Companies in Telangana State”, Policy brief No. 7, published by Centre for Economic and Social Studies. https://cess.ac.in/publications/policy-briefs/
- Sangeetha G and Arifa Sultana (2020): “Housing Finance in Telangana – A Case of 2BHK”, Conference volume, Telangana Economic Association, ISBN, 978-81-94069-1-3
- Revathi E and Arifa Sultana (2019): “Agriculture, Food Systems and Nutrition in Tribal Areas in India”, Agriculture Economics Research Review, Volume: 32, ISSN: 0971-3441, https://www.indianjournals.com/ aspx?target=ijor:aerr&volum e=32&issue=conf&article=abs152
- Sultana Arifa (2019): “New Institutional Economics and its application in Agriculture with special reference to Farmers’ Produce Companies”, 3rd Annual Conference, Telangana Economic Association, ISBN: 978-81-940369-0-6
- Sultana Arifa (2018): “Chetna Organic Agriculture Producer Company Limited – A case study” , National Seminar on ‘Ease of doing business’, ISBN: 978-93-85101-12-0
- Sultana Arifa and E Revathi (2017): “The Golden Spice of Life ‘Turmeric’ in Telangana State – E-Marketing and Challenges Ahead”, Telangana Economic Association, First Annual Conference, AS 50-71
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “Farmer Producer Companies in Telangana State – A case of Karimnagar Milk Producer Company Limited”, Indian Journal of Agriculture Marketing, Vol. 31, No. 3, ISSN: 0971-8664
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “E-Business in Agriculture in India through National Agriculture Market” International Conference on ‘Liberalization, Privatization: Impact on Indian Systems – An assessment’ , North Maharashtra University in association with SSVP Bhausaheb N S Patil Arts and MFMA Commerce College, Dhule, Maharashtra, ISSN: 2277-5730
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “Impact of GST on Agriculture in India” Ajanta Quarterly Vol. VI, Issue IV, ISSN: 2277-5730
- Sultana Arifa (2016): “The first women who break the glass-ceiling in Farmer Producer Companies in India”, National Conference on ‘Indian Women: Present, Past and Future – An interdisciplinary approach’ organized by Sitabai Arts College, Akola, Maharashtra, ISBN: 978-93-83587
- Sultana Arifa (2016): “Successful Farmer Producer Companies in India – What Telangana state can learn from them?” National Seminar on ‘Financing and Sustaining Rural Agribusiness Enterprises – A bottom of the pyramid approach’ organized by School of Agribusiness Management, PJTSAU, Hyderabad, ISBN: 978-81-932824-5-8
- Performance and Impact of Farmer Producer Companies promoted by NABARD in Telangana State – June 2021.
- Farmer’ Producer Companies in Telangana: Performance, Challenges and Farmers’ Well-being – Completed
- Organized ICSSR sponsored training programme on Business Development Planning for the CEOs/Directors of Farmers Producer Companies in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh State conducted successfully from 7th March to 11th March 2022
- Organized ‘National Seminar’ on “Minor Irrigation – Issues and Challenges” on 30th and 31st December, 2019 at department of Economics, Satavahana University, Karimnagar in collaboration with Centre for Economic and Social Studies as ‘Coordinator’ for the workshop http://www.satavahana.ac.in/Updates/SEMINAR.pdf
- Speaker on “Role of FPOs on risk mitigation in input and output market – case of Telangana” in National Level Workshop on ‘Farmer Producer Organizations as Risk Mitigation Institutions for Small and Marginal Farmers in India – Issues, Challenges and the Way Forward’ December 4-5, 2018 in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Organized by German Cooperation Association (GIZ) and department of horticulture, Karnataka.
- Paper presented in International Accounting Finance Economics and Banking Conference, Organized by Flame University, Pune. “Farmer Producer Companies in Telangana State: a way to improve Farmers’ wellbeing -The case of Telangana State” (2017).
Received ‘Gold Medal’ for best paper on “Chetna Organic Agriculture Producer Company – A Case Study” in 2018 at National Seminar on ‘Ease of doing business’, ISBN: 978-93- 85101-12-0 Published by Anwar-ul-Uloom PG College, Hyderabad