Dr. Arifa Sultana
Dr. Arifa Sultana
Farmer Producer Companies, FPOs, Cooperatives, Marketing, Tribal Studies, Food and Nutrition Security
M Phil and Ph d
Dr. Arifa Sultana is a Research Consultant at Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Begumpet, Hyderabad. She is a Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Development Studies with specialization is Commerce on the topic “Farmers’ Producer Companies – A Study of Telangana State” The degree was awarded by Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University in association with Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad. Previously she worked as Principal of a Degree and PG college affiliated to Osmania University. Prior to this she was head, department of Commerce. She joined CESS in 2014 and worked on various projects related to FPOs.
She is also a resource person at NIRDPR for training and capacitating CEOs and officials of the NRLM on the modules Financial Accounting, Marketing and Governance and Management of FPOs. She was also a resource person for University Grants Commission for the SAM (Sensitivity, Awareness and Motivation) and MSEM (Management Skills Enhancement Modules) workshops for two modules on ‘Women and Governance in Higher Education’ and ‘Financial Management in Higher Educational Institutions’ for capacity building of women managers in higher education.
My research interest is in Cooperatives, Farmers’ Producer Companies, Agriculture Marketing, Community Development, E-Marketing, Food Systems and Nutrition, and Development Economics. I have worked on various topics of Farmers Producer Companies, E-NAM and turmeric market and Malnutrition.
Monograph ‘Impact Evaluation of Farmers Producer Companies in Telangana State promoted by NABARD’ jointly with Prof. E Revathi (Mimeo)
- Sultana Arifa (2021) Contract Farming in India: Does the New Farm Act addresses all the problems of the past? International Journal of Research and Analytical Review, 8, Issues 4, ISSN-2349-5138
- Revathi E and Arifa Sultana (2020): “Farmers’ Producer Companies in Telangana State”, Policy brief No. 7, published by Centre for Economic and Social Studies. https://cess.ac.in/publications/policy-briefs/
- Sangeetha G and Arifa Sultana (2020): “Housing Finance in Telangana – A Case of 2BHK”, Conference volume, Telangana Economic Association, ISBN, 978-81-94069-1-3
- Revathi E and Arifa Sultana (2019): “Agriculture, Food Systems and Nutrition in Tribal Areas in India”, Agriculture Economics Research Review, Volume: 32, ISSN: 0971-3441, https://www.indianjournals.com/ aspx?target=ijor:aerr&volum e=32&issue=conf&article=abs152
- Sultana Arifa (2019): “New Institutional Economics and its application in Agriculture with special reference to Farmers’ Produce Companies”, 3rd Annual Conference, Telangana Economic Association, ISBN: 978-81-940369-0-6
- Sultana Arifa (2018): “Chetna Organic Agriculture Producer Company Limited – A case study” , National Seminar on ‘Ease of doing business’, ISBN: 978-93-85101-12-0
- Sultana Arifa and E Revathi (2017): “The Golden Spice of Life ‘Turmeric’ in Telangana State – E-Marketing and Challenges Ahead”, Telangana Economic Association, First Annual Conference, AS 50-71
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “Farmer Producer Companies in Telangana State – A case of Karimnagar Milk Producer Company Limited”, Indian Journal of Agriculture Marketing, Vol. 31, No. 3, ISSN: 0971-8664
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “E-Business in Agriculture in India through National Agriculture Market” International Conference on ‘Liberalization, Privatization: Impact on Indian Systems – An assessment’ , North Maharashtra University in association with SSVP Bhausaheb N S Patil Arts and MFMA Commerce College, Dhule, Maharashtra, ISSN: 2277-5730
- Sultana Arifa (2017): “Impact of GST on Agriculture in India” Ajanta Quarterly Vol. VI, Issue IV, ISSN: 2277-5730
- Sultana Arifa (2016): “The first women who break the glass-ceiling in Farmer Producer Companies in India”, National Conference on ‘Indian Women: Present, Past and Future – An interdisciplinary approach’ organized by Sitabai Arts College, Akola, Maharashtra, ISBN: 978-93-83587
- Sultana Arifa (2016): “Successful Farmer Producer Companies in India – What Telangana state can learn from them?” National Seminar on ‘Financing and Sustaining Rural Agribusiness Enterprises – A bottom of the pyramid approach’ organized by School of Agribusiness Management, PJTSAU, Hyderabad, ISBN: 978-81-932824-5-8
- Performance and Impact of Farmer Producer Companies promoted by NABARD in Telangana State – June 2021.
- Farmer’ Producer Companies in Telangana: Performance, Challenges and Farmers’ Well-being – Ongoing
- Organized ICSSR sponsored training programme on Business Development Planning for the CEOs/Directors of Farmers Producer Companies in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh State conducted successfully from 7th March to 11th March 2022
- Organized ‘National Seminar’ on “Minor Irrigation – Issues and Challenges” on 30th and 31st December, 2019 at department of Economics, Satavahana University, Karimnagar in collaboration with Centre for Economic and Social Studies as ‘Coordinator’ for the workshop http://www.satavahana.ac.in/Updates/SEMINAR.pdf
- Speaker on “Role of FPOs on risk mitigation in input and output market – case of Telangana” in National Level Workshop on ‘Farmer Producer Organizations as Risk Mitigation Institutions for Small and Marginal Farmers in India – Issues, Challenges and the Way Forward’ December 4-5, 2018 in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Organized by German Cooperation Association (GIZ) and department of horticulture, Karnataka.
- Paper presented in International Accounting Finance Economics and Banking Conference, Organized by Flame University, Pune. “Farmer Producer Companies in Telangana State: a way to improve Farmers’ wellbeing -The case of Telangana State” (2017).
Received ‘Gold Medal’ for best paper on “Chetna Organic Agriculture Producer Company – A Case Study” in 2018 at National Seminar on ‘Ease of doing business’, ISBN: 978-93- 85101-12-0 Published by Anwar-ul-Uloom PG College, Hyderabad